To Friday 27 October 2017 - 17:00
The role of planners and technocrats who are trained in the art of developing planning and research cannot be underestimated in any economy. Within the context of a developing economy, the effectiveness of development planning can be enhanced if researchers and planners are equipped with the modern tools and techniques of research, planning and statistical analysis.
It is in recognition of these imperatives that the Nigerian Institute of Social and Economic Research (NISER), Ibadan, is organizing this technical training workshop for staff in the Planning, Research and Statistics, Directorates of Public and Private Sectors of the Nigerian economy. The theme of the 2017 workshop is
The main objective of the technical training workshop is aimed at enhancing the capacity and capability of officials of Department of PRS in the area of research and planning with the aims of promoting efficiency, effectiveness and accountability both at the public and private sectors of the Nigerian economy. The specific objectives are outlined as follows:
- To enable participants to appreciate the link between research, policy and development;
- To improve the perception of participants on the nature and conduct of research;
- To enable participants to increase their mastery of basic procedures, processes, mechanisms and techniques in research;
- To enable participants to develop the analytical and professional capability for appreciating the linkage in economic, social, political, cultural, technical issues and problems requiring investigation as input into policy formulation and implementation;
- To identify and critically examine the problems, constraints and efficacy of development planning techniques; and
- To enhance participants’ capability in writing research and preparing policy memoranda from research reports.
The intensive technical training workshop is to enable participants appreciate the political, social, cultural and technical context of research and planning. The procedures and methodological techniques involved in research and planning will also be learnt during the training workshop. At the end of the workshop, participants would have learnt through case studies and group simulation exercises on how to carry out a policy research project and write policy and planning memoranda from research reports.
- The role of Research in Policy and Plan Formulation.
- Types of Research and Research Methodology.
- Planning Process and Techniques.
- Research Design
- Techniques of Qualitative Research
- Techniques of Quantitative Research
- Computer Applications in Research and Data Analysis
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Policies
- Validation and Dissemination of Research Report
- Research Report Writing
- Preparing Policy Briefs and Memoranda from Research Reports
Each of the technical topics will be handled by experienced professional resource persons within the Institute. Each presentation will be supplemented with relevant first aid, case study, discussions and relevant exercises.
The workshop is intended for officials in the Planning, Research and Statistics Department (PRSD) of both the Public and Private Sectors of the Nigerian economy
Each participant will pay the sum of One hundred thousand naira (N100,000.00) only, to cover the workshop jacket, course materials, light breakfast, lunch and workshop certificate as well as programme design and delivery.
MODE OF PAYMENT
Participants are expected to pay their fees in full either by cash at the venue of the workshop or into the following designated bank.
Account Name: NISER Research Trust Fund
Account Number: 0008760947
Sort Code: 03205025
Bank: Union Bank of Nigeria Plc
- Participants are expected to present evidence of payment in case of payment to the bank prior to the commencement of the training programme.
- Prospective participants are expected to arrive a day before the commencement of the workshop to complete registration formalities.